Tuesday, December 11, 2012

These Boots Were Made for Walking - Days 6 & 7

FALL BREAK:
Prague >> Berlin

The next day I slept in quite a bit and then explored the Jewish history of Prague.

This was the Old Jewish Cemetery, which is part of the Jewish Quarter in central Prague.  It started being used as a cemetery in the 15th century and now holds thousands of gravestones literally falling all over each other.  It was quite the site to see.


After looking in a few synagogues and other Jewish buildings occupied during the war I walked around Old Town Square - the center of it all.


The famous Astronomical Clock.



Horse-drawn carriages and food carts.  What more could you want?



Then I wandered to this little place (not so little), often visited by Albert Einstein and other intellectuals.

I had quite the delicious meal.  Waldorf salad and pumpkin soup.  They also put a pencil and pad of paper on each table.  I imagine they were there in case you needed to jot down some great idea that popped into your head as you were eating and chatting...I doodled :)

It was a really chill atmosphere.

Then the city lit up.  I really adore Prague at night.


And I waited for the famous chiming of the clock that happens every hour on the hour.  There were trumpets and everything!


And then I had this delicious thing before heading back to the dorm!  I sat at the table across from three women from Scotland - I could tell by their strong accents.  I struck up a conversation and we discussed my travels, Scotland plans, Prague excursions, and American (and Scottish) politics over our desserts.  They were the sweetest.  I love meeting new people.


I then went back to the dorm after two full days of exploring.  Prague was a great city.  Very different than Amsterdam, but also very interesting.

The next day (Thursday) I woke up, packed my duffle bag, and got myself to the train station where I proceeded to ride five hours into Berlin - passing through lots of German countryside.  After reading a bit of the information I had gathered on Berlin, I basically napped and listened to music the rest of the time.  I wanted to get as much rest as possible so that I could finish out my fall break strong.  As you can imagine I was getting quite tired by this point.  I have no idea how people travel around Europe for months at a time.  A week is plenty for me :)  I like having a home base to travel from.

Anywho...after figuring out how to get the apartment from the train station by public bus, I met the guys I was staying with.  They were friends of a girl I met at church in London who is originally from Germany and they were the sweetest for letting me stay with them.  We had quite a fun time.  They were very chill guys and we had lots of great conversation and listened to tons of music.

So when I arrived around nine that night we walked around a bit and got to know each other and then I passed out on their very comfy couch.  I needed my rest if I was going to go out exploring some more in this new city!

City three of three, here I come. 



No comments:

Post a Comment