Thursday, September 13, 2012

All the World's a Stage

If any of you don't know, I love Shakespeare!  I think he is a brilliant writer and has influenced theatre in such a huge way.  He is one of the large reasons I have been wanting to come to London for such a long time.  There is so much theatre tradition here and it's exhilarating!

So the first play we read for our Shakespeare class was As You Like It - a comedy about love, banishment, gender, and magic.  After some wonderful discussion during our class time, we went to see this play together at the Globe Theatre.  This was also my first theatre experience in London so I was stoked!

For those who don't know, the Globe has a lot of history.  The modern reconstruction of the Shakespeare's Globe is based on the exact design that was around during his time - his actual theatre burnt down in 1613.  It is the theatre where his 'playing company' performed the plays he had written.  It is circular (hence the title) with a thatched roof and has an opening in the top, so it's like being outside.  In Shakespeare's time people known as the "groundlings" would pay a few pennies to stand in the center and watch the show.  Because they were so close to the action, they would often yell back at the actors and get rather rowdy.  It may sound a bit tiresome, standing throughout an entire Shakespearean production, but I've heard from numerous people that it is something you have to experience at least once.  I was happy to find out that that is exactly what we would be doing Tuesday evening!

Emily (this girl I met from class) and I decided to travel there together and get dinner near the river before the show.  We ate at this pub right on the water and both had typical English dishes - she had sausage and mash and I had a fish sandwich and chips (french fries).  It was a lovely meal with great conversation and a gorgeous view of the Thames River.  Emily and I started bonding very quickly and found out that we think a lot alike.

As we got to the theatre and found our teacher to retrieve our tickets, we discovered that the doors had already been opened.  That was a bit of a bummer because it's generally best to rush to the front of the standing section so you can lean right on the stage - yes people actually do that.  But alas, we were not able to do this so we stood a few "rows" of people back, which actually gave us a perfect view.  We were also standing right near one of the sets of stairs leading up the stage from the ground floor.  These stairs were used for entrances a lot by the actors, as they would enter and mingle about the 'groundlings' section, so many of them grazed by me multiple times.  It was very exciting!

Now something about Shakespeare that many of you might know - Shakespeare can be extremely BORING!  However, Shakespeare done right is pure genius.  And this production, was just that - genius.  The actors were stunning.  There were only eight of them and they portrayed all 20 characters.  The set was simplistic, but extremely clever.  The line interpretation was hilarious and it had the audience chuckling the entire time.  The second act got even rowdier as things started to unfold.  Because of the atmosphere of the theatre and the conventions the actors set up by essentially including us in their playing space, we felt free to respond to whatever reaction we were having.  Therefore, there was a lot of sudden clapping and laughing out loud followed by oo's and ah's.  The space was alive.  The play was breathing like a living being.  It was playful and smart and, therefore, landed perfectly in our laps - language and all.  It wasn't daunting because the actors understood what they were saying and why they were saying it and therefore it came across loud and clear.  Like I said it was pure genius!  I enjoyed myself every second.  Yes, my back started to hurt from standing for nearly three hours, but believe me it was totally worth it!  What an experience!

And there I was, standing in the Globe (a theatre I had heard about so many times throughout my schooling and theatrical career), watching a Shakespeare play come alive before my eyes, and it was truly magical.  I felt like I was taking part in history.  I felt like I was back in 17th century England.  There was this sense of community with everyone around me, and simultaneously with all of the theatre-enthusiasts that have come before me, dating all the way back to Shakespeare.  It was a type of spiritual experience - one that happens after seeing a really good piece of theatre.  It's when something happens in a piece that moves you in a certain way, and often out of the blue.  Afterwards I was on a "theatre high," as I call it.  Emily and I laughed and discussed all the way home, and I was on cloud nine.  Is this really happening?

~~~



St. Paul's Cathedral - on our way to the theatre


How gorgeous is this view?

You might recognize this from Harry Potter...?

There it is ladies and gentlemen - Shakespeare's Globe!

Emily and I in front


The stage (note the people leaning in front - told ya)

Rows of seats and then the 'groundlings'

I would absolutely LOVE to be up there one day!

Resting our legs before the show starts

Emily sitting amongst the bags and feet

At the end of the show. This was their set to symbolize the forrest.  Like I said, simplistic, but beautiful!

And on our way back.  The city at night is breathtaking.

~~~

Wednesday night I saw War Horse with my other class (Modern Drama in Performance) and it was also a very wonderful production.  The puppetry of the horses and the way those actors brought them to life was actually stunning.  If you haven't seen this play, DO!  It is such a work of art.

What a wonderful week of theatre it has been!  It has certainly reignited my love for it - as if I needed a reminder.  Tomorrow I am going to see Rogers and Hammerstein's classic musical Carousel.  It is closing Saturday and I have been dying to see a production of it onstage so I bought myself a ticket!  Can't wait.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment