Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Donning a Tourist Mindset

As much as I am starting to get adjusted to London life, living here as a student and such, I am still trying my hardest to maintain that sense of curiosity - or what I like to call the "tourist mindset".  I think it is very easy when you live in a city, such as London or New York, to get wrapped up in everyday life and establish a sort of pattern.  It is a pattern of comfort, and generally success, which, once established, we are not apt to break.  Appearing as a tourist in one's home city is not fashionable, or even kosher.  There is a fear of sticking out.

Now I don't know if what I'm about to say is a product of me being a senior this year, or of having lived in a city for the past three years, or the fact that I've found this new traveling boldness within me, but I could care less about doing the fashionable thing.  I don't care if I stick out as a tourist.  I'm not apologizing for not knowing my way around London in its entirety yet.  And I don't care if I take pictures of everything I do, no matter how minute it seems.  I wear that camera and hold that map like they are trophies because I am determined to get as much out of this experience as possible.  I may be here to live and learn like a student, but I am here to explore like a tourist.  And yes I think it's more than possible to accomplish both things.  It is possible to be a smart and knowledgeable tourist, while still maintaining that sense of innocence about the city.  This innocence allows you to refrain from becoming jaded.  No matter how many times one sees the Empire State building dominating the New York City skyline, it is still the historic and majestic Empire State building - a symbol of greatness - and always will be.  How you choose to view it personally, as it becomes a possibly more mundane sight in the sky, is entirely up to you.

City skills are transferrable.  My experience with the subway in NYC has expedited my understanding of the tube in London.  My sense of direction (while walking) and being able to visualize my location on a map - skills I developed during my freshmen year at NYU - have helped in my navigation of London.  Among these skills are countless others: crossing the street without abandon, always knowing ones surroundings, avoiding scams, swerving in and out of crowds on the sidewalk, the list goes on.  This is something I learned not too long after moving here.  I could tell right away that I would be alright adjusting because going to school in NYC has made me city-savy.  Just as living in New York City has helped me transition into life as a native here in London, I also anticipate that living in London these next few months with tourist eyes wide open will help me to return to NYC with a newfound tourist mindset - hopefully allowing me to explore the city I call home in a new way.

~~~

I concluded my eventful, London-filled week last week with a much needed tourist-like trip to Buckingham Palace.  They open the State Rooms for viewing during the summer while the Queen visits family in Wales.  I had until October 7th to cross this activity off my list, so I figured why not do it now?  As I don't have class on Fridays (a new concept for me), Taylor and I went to the Palace on Friday.  We had a leisurely morning and then met up and took the bus to the Palace to stand in line for tickets.  (One never feels more like a tourist than when one is standing in line.)  After getting our tickets we sat outside the Palace and had lunch - what a gorgeous crisp, sunny day it was.

Taylor said, and I rather agree, that pictures of people eating always turn out really good.  So we had a lot of fun with that concept and out came the next series of photos...






Who does that kind of thing?  Tourists certainly do ;)

More tourist photos:


Gorgeous flowers

Back of the palace.  You exit through the rear gardens once you've finished the tour.  Unfortunately I was not able to take pictures inside, but you're just going to have to believe me that it was gorgeous inside!  If you're ever in London, it's a must see.  I mean it's the home of the Queen - that's crazy!

We also got to see the Diamond's Jubilee Exhibit.  Lots of tiaras, swords, and brooches that are beyond explanation, but they were rather exquisite.  Even to just hold one of those pieces would be an honor in itself.

In the gift shop afterwards.  It may be no "crown jewel," but it's the only Palace crown I'll be wearing...ever.

Taylor and I were in the mood for chocolate.  Royal chocolate nonetheless!

Rear gardens


And to top off my fun-filled day, I went to see a Rodgers and Hammerstein classic...


It was a wonderful ending to a theatre-filled, tourist-filled week.  And hopefully just one among many more to come.

Cheers!







No comments:

Post a Comment