Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Poem to Hold You Over

It might take a bit of time for me to completely document my fall break adventures on this blog, as I had countless experiences each and every day of my travels.  And, consequently, I also have lots of photos, which I have to edit and sift through.  Also, as I am now back to the grind of schoolwork, blog posts and pictures will have to be chipped away at whenever I get a free moment.  But alas, they are on their way!

As for now, I am still mulling over (in amazement) the amount of people I met while traveling. It's quite interesting how approachable people are when they're alone - or at least this is what I found to be the case, or...mainly in Amsterdam, that is.  As I was alone, people talked to me.  There were no barriers between me and them.  Just a silent, raw person, eating dinner or sitting down, waiting to be conversed with.  It was exciting!  Being free and open to any and all conversation that came my way.  And every single person fascinated me.  Each person created a new experience and spoke to a different part of my being - despite any language barrier.  So much so, that they have inspired me in many ways.  Ways I can't even really explain.

However, I have tried.  Or rather, felt it necessary.  After seeing another show tonight for my Modern Drama in Performance class, a creative spark was ignited.  A button was pushed.  My mind was itching to express itself.  And after some reflection and journaling about the wonderful people I met throughout my travels, this poem came out:

People. Person.

people. people everywhere.
characters.
beings.
stories.
interactions.
making connections with each encounter.
memories formed.
impressions established.
are they passing?
with each hello comes another goodbye.
humanity.
blurry faces.
shaking hands or kissing cheeks.
introductions.
backgrounds.
question and answer.
intrigue.
is it chance?
who will be the next person to change your life?
or is it a collective act?
temporary families.
simple comforts.
welcoming arms.
community.
people.
person.

I am not ignoring you and I will update you soon, but hopefully this holds you over till then ;)

Proost!


No comments:

Post a Comment