Thursday, November 29, 2012

These Boots Were Made for Walking - Day 4

FALL BREAK:
Amsterdam >> Prague

Woke up craving pancakes...and I found this:

The most delicious thing in the world!  Dutch pancake with chocolate, banana, and strawberry!  Oh yeah and powdered sugar :)


You can see that it certainly did the job

A bit of a rainy day in Amsterdam, but still gorgeous!

Then I walked across the street to the Anne Frank Huis and got to see it - finally!  Buying a ticket ahead of time is most definitely the way to go.  No lines at all.

This is a must-see if you ever venture to Amsterdam.  It's eery, full of history, and oddly inspiring.  Anne Frank was so smart and so optimistic.  She was so young, but extremely mature and understood that having a creative outlet was the only way to truly express herself.  What a brave little girl!

Some more shots of the beautiful canals.


Then I walked through the rainy streets towards the Heineken Experience and stopped for some tea along the way at:

Stanislavski (Russian actor and director who changed the course of theatre and acting forever) Cafe!

Delish!

iamsterdam sign




Found it!

They go through all of Heineken's history.  Quite the story!




You then learn the entire process of how their beer is made.


And you get to taste everything as it's being made.  I tried this - barley and water, boiled and mixed together.  And yes, I tried hops.  It was disgusting!  But this barley/water mixture wasn't bad at all.


They had lots of cool exhibits and hands on activities. 


There's a 4D section of the tour where they turn you into the beer and you watch an inside video of how it's made from start to finish, including bottling and distribution.
Then there's a sampling bar where they teach you the proper way to drink your beer.
Then you can even try to pour your own glass.  Would've done this, but the line was rather long.


And then I got free beer :)
(Well...it was included in my admission price)

Last meal in Amsterdam before traveling on to Prague.  I stopped at a Greek restaurant and was the only customer in there at that time, so I had wonderful service!

And quite delicious food, prepared just for me :)
Vegetarian platter and Baklava (first time I tried it!)

And that was Amsterdam!  What a wonderful trip.  I was so grateful for all of the experiences I had and the people I met.  I truly felt like I got a sense of the city and of the culture.  Mission accomplished!  Now onto Prague where they speak an entirely different language and even have an incredibly different currency.

Hello world.



No comments:

Post a Comment