Monday, October 15, 2012

Another Year Older

You know when it's your birthday and people ask you if you feel older?

Well this year, I feel older. 

It's weird, and I've never actually felt it before.  But something happened last night as it hit midnight over here in London...it's like my heart, mind, and soul finally got what it means to turn older.
Responsibility.
Pride.
Strength.
Excitement.
Independence.
Freedom.
Joy.
Dreams.
Distance.
Understanding.
Acceptance.
Faith.
All of this hit me at once and I felt this amazing sense of anticipation of what's to come.  My stomach fluttered with butterflies, energy surged through my body, and I was recharged.  I was invigorated.  

God has given me 21 beautiful, wonderful, fulfilling, joyous years on this earth and I am beyond thrilled to move into the future with what I know now and what I can expect from my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

21 for me is far beyond any sense of legal rights I may obtain when I return back to the US - although that is a wonderful plus.  For me, 21 is signifying adulthood in all the words I listed above.  As I head into a spring graduation, no longer can I say I even remotely feel like a teenager.  I feel like a woman.  A woman who knows her past, enjoys her present, and welcomes the future with open arms.

I'm 21 and yes, I feel it.

And it feels good!


No comments:

Post a Comment