Thursday, October 25, 2012

Peter Patter

As promised, here is the poem inspired by this statue, my 21st birthday, and the experience that is captured in this photo:


Peter Patter

Peter Pan is a little boy
as many of the fairytales say
who wanted to stay forever young
and play with his friends all day

I'll never grow up
Never grow up I tell you
I'll never grow up 
Never grow up I say
        Getting older is no fun
           there's too much you have to do
              So I'd rather be a younger kid
                 than go the other way

Peter felt that growing up 
was too difficult a task
If you ever questioned his opinion
all you'd have to do is ask

I don't wanna grow up
Don't wanna grow up I tell you
I don't wanna grow up
Don't wanna grow up I say
        There are too many troubles I'd have to face
           I hate what lies ahead
              So I'd much rather stay a bright-eyed kid
                 than go the other way

As Peter matured he realized
the changes his body faced
It wasn't so easy to fight them now
and they had to be embraced

I'm growing up
Growing right up I tell you
I'm growing up
Growing right up I say
        As I learn more about the world
           I know it is a must
              But truly my desire remains still
           to retreat the other way

As he got older Peter came to encounter
many feelings of regret
But he also missed the good times of the past
and therefore looked at the future with fret

I hate growing up
Hate growing up I tell you
I hate growing up
Hate growing up I say
        I don't know if it's good or bad
           I'm confused as to what to do
              I'd rather stay right here right now
              than venture either way

But Peter started to come to terms with
the fact that he must grow
And he started to get excited that
there was so much more to know

I love growing up
Love growing up I tell you
I love growing up
Love growing up I say
        The people and places out there to explore
           will make me who I am
              But I also now know the full impact of what still
                 remains the other way

Peter has fully accepted it now
and he quite enjoys the ride
Now he sees the benefits of growing
and encourages others not to hide

Enjoy growing up
Enjoy growing up I tell you
Enjoy growing up
Enjoy growing up each day
        I know it may seem fast and scary
           Everyone feels that too
              But look at the hope and joy to come
For there is no other way



No comments:

Post a Comment