Monday, October 1, 2012

I've Got the World on a String

I had another fun-filled, busy weekend this week, as I suspect will be the case from here on out.

All of my travel plans have finally been finalized!  I just have a few hostels to book and some details to sort out, but at least my travel plans have been scheduled.  It looks like it's going to be a pretty jam-packed semester!

Quick overview of my travel plans:

10/6: Wales Day Trip with Taylor
10/7: Bath Day Trip with NYUL
10/19-10/21: Dublin to visit Brigid C.
10/28: Oxford Day Trip with NYUL
then Fall Break (traveling by myself):
11/2-11/5: Amsterdam 
11/5-11/8: Prague
11/8-11/12: Berlin
-------
11/16-11/18: HOST UK visit to Braceby (Northern England just outside of Grantham)
11/23-11/25: Edinburgh, Scotland with Taylor
11/30-12/2: Dubrovnik, Croatia with Emily, Joanna, and Brigid J.
12/15: Syracuse, NY!

Wow, that's the first time I've written it all out.  It's quite a lot, but I am stoked!  I'm pretty much traveling every weekend (especially November), but it'll definitely be worth it.  I definitely have lined up a wide variety of cities/countries so I should be exposed to some radically different cultures - and I can't wait!

I know what you're thinking...when am I going to have time to explore London and/or England?

No worries!  I'm working it in, slowly checking things off my list.

This last Friday Emily and I met up to go to the British Museum (right near my dorm) and check out the Shakespeare exhibit currently set up there.  It's entitled "Staging the World" - clever right? (re: "all the world's a stage")




Emily, all smiles, in the lobby




It was absolutely marvelous!  I've always loved Shakespeare and his work, but I am falling even deeper in love with him during my time here.  It's wonderful being surrounded by the culture and history that influenced his writings.  We spent two hours wandering around the exhibit looking at: paintings of the figures and settings of the time, swords and memorabilia  characteristic of the time, and maps that developed as new parts of the world were being discovered.  It truly was an exciting time in history!  We got to read all about it and the influence it had on Shakespeare and conversely, the influence he had on the world.  It was fascinating.
(Sorry for the lack of pictures, we couldn't take pictures inside the exhibit.  Sad face.)

We then wandered a bit around the lower level of the museum and saw the Rosetta Stone, of which The British Museum is in possession.  Being in the presence of it was absolutely stunning.


Fun fact: I bought a metal water bottle with the Rosetta Stone printed on it.  It's pretty sweet.


Two statues of Aphrodite/Venus - the goddess of love - that I found completely breathtaking. 

Did I mention that this museum is free admission?  Because it is.  The exhibit wasn't, but that was well worth the six pounds Emily and I each paid on the 2 for 1 student special they had that day.  We will certainly be back to explore the rest of the museum when we have some free time in the future.

Emily and I were invited to dinner that night at the house of an American woman (who now lives in London but has traveled everywhere) named Anne-Marie, who is friends with Emily's Aunt and Uncle.  She lives in a gorgeous area of London and has a stunning flat, filled with ornate paintings and the like.  It was certainly a nice change of pace from dorm life.  She also made us a delicious home-cooked meal which consisted of: a salad with olives, artichokes, and avocado; mixed seafood curry (which included calamari - a first for me!); sticky bread pudding, which is actually made with dates; and lots of Chilean white wine.  The conversation was also incredibly stimulating.  Emily and I had such a wonderful evening and it was the perfect ending to our Friday.

So, see?  I'm still finding time to experience London - no worries. 

Stay tuned for more postings regarding the two day trips I also went on this weekend.  The journeys continue!

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment