Monday, October 8, 2012

Bathing in the Bath Sun

Sunday I traveled to Bath (Northwest of London) with a group from NYUL.  It was one of the day trips we were able to sign up for at the beginning of the semester.

Bath is a two and a half/three hour bus ride from London and we loaded the buses at 8am - so it was another early morning for Rachael.  That being said, I did get to sleep on the way there (and back).  Something about transportation just makes me really tired.

Bath is a beautiful city because it is a city on a hill surrounded by numerous other hills of countryside.  Everywhere you look is gorgeous!  I certainly regained my energy once we stepped off the bus and into such a beautiful landmark of history - and the nap on the bus didn't hurt either.

We got a little bit of free time at first in which I explored the main center of the city with my friends. Then we met up as a large group to receive our entrance tokens into the Roman Baths.  We were free to roam around the Baths at our own leisure with the free audio guide provided. 

The Romans actually used to bathe here.  This water is still fed from the original spring on which the structure was built and therefore is the same water from the Roman era.  It is not treated and consequently very dirty, so it is highly suggested no one touches it.


Statues of Roman emperors and rulers surround this main bath.

Looking through the window to the "hot tub" of that time period - aka hot bath.  You can't tell from the picture, but this is still very much a 'hot' bath.  You could see steam on the surface and bubbles from where the the water was boiling due to extreme temperatures.

What the entire complex used to look like.

Original coins found in the main bath when it was excavated.

Overflow of the spring which then lead into this entire piping system that extended throughout the different baths. 

My roommate, Nevaeda, and I in front of the main bath.

In the presence of history.

A really cool side bath that is now used as a wishing well.  Thousands of coins covered the bottom and yes, it actually sparkled like that.

After we walked through the Roman baths on our own time, we had a bit of time to get lunch before meeting up to do a walking tour of the city.

I journeyed to a Moroccan restaurant with my friend Zach and a few other people I recently met who live on my floor.  The service at this place was a bit slow (because they unexpectedly had a lot of NYUL customers that day), but the food was absolutely delicious!
Moroccan soup - which was spicy and very flavorful - and a falafel and tahini stuffed potato.  It was the best falafel I have ever had - so creamy and crispy and full of taste!  A wonderful lunch and some great company.  Yay for new friends!

This is a modern version of the Roman baths.  There is a swimming pool located on the roof which is fed from the original water spring, but is obviously now treated due to loads of health regulations.  People can retreat here for an hour or two of relaxation and healing - the same reasons which brought the Romans and many others to the baths over the years.

Beautiful fall flowers.  Fall colors make me so happy.

The Royal Crescent which used to be used for housing of visiting (rich) travelers.

Zach

Smiling in the sun.

Another gorgeous country view form the city.  And there's a castle in the distance - if you can see it.




Such a cool tea cafe - Mad Hatter's Tea Party!  I so wish we had time to stop there, but there's just not enough time in a day.  Bath is a slightly bigger city than the other ones we've visited thus far and I needed more than a day to explore it.  I guess I'll just have to go back at some point on a future journey I make to England.

A beautiful park I wish I could've gone in.  But walking by it was pretty satisfying in and of itself.

Another successful day trip with wonderful weather and interesting sights!  Keep 'em coming!

Cheers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment